Friday, April 15, 2011

The most important question, ever


What is the most important question ever? Some would say, "Why am I here?", others might ponder, "What is the meaning of life," or maybe, "What is my life purpose?" Spiritual people looking to reach Godhead-enlightenment Self-realization might spend decades in contemplation of, "Who am I?" or, "What am I?" in an attempt to shed the egoic veils from their consciousnesses.

I say, bullocks to those questions. They are mere child's play compared to the most important question ever:

What the fuck?


Some examples I thought of recently (being it election time in Canada):

  • Every day, more and more evidence is coming out at the Harper regime's atrocities to Canadian democracy and how its policies lead to social and environmental harm, yet polls show a Conservative majority is possible come May 2.
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • Alternative media has never been more accessible and is far less biased towards big-business interests, yet most people still choose mainstream propaganda as their "information" source.
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • We have a desperate attempt in Canada to use "strategic voting" as a crutch among progressives to make up for an electoral system that is flawed, yet last provincial election in BC, voting reform was soundly defeated.
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • The Japan earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown is largely pictured in the mainstream as a "debate about nuclear" rather than a "debate about whether it's time to wake up and smell the roses about mankind's relationship to itself and the rest of nature". This, a year after the BP oil spill was just a "debate about oil rig safety and allowing more drilling".
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • The war on drugs -- largely a war on the cannabis plant -- has been shown to create immeasurable suffering on society, yet Health Canada recently decided another plant, salvia divinorum, would best serve Canadians by being made illegal too.
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • The worldwide economy is sinking in large part due to banking interests' activities, and yet these are the institutions and executives the US government saved and are relying on to save its economy, and possibly the entire world economy, from bankruptcy and destruction.
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • There is ample scientific evidence GMO foods are not healthy for anyone or anything, yet government and industry continue to say they are scientifically shown to be safe. And, they seem to get away with it.
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • CFL bulbs are a cause of electropollution and contain mercury, yet are supported by many environmentalists as a solution.
  • I ask, what the fuck?
  • There are plenty of reasons to suspect that vaccines, wireless devices, fluoride, teflon, artificial sweeteners, plastic food/drink packaging, and other conventionally accepted products have negative health consequences, yet they are taken for granted by many people and government authorities do not care to look at the hazards, at least not too closely.
  • I ask, what the fuck?

I could go on; there are just so many things that I ask, "What the fuck?" about. Though one could write an eloquent essay to answer each of my above ponderings, the only real answer I can see is that we are insane. Some more insane than others, but all, insane. Both conscious and unconscious harm done at the personal and planetary scale. In spite of evidence, often pointed out and plain-as-day, denial and rationalization are the orders of our times.


I don't know what's worse, when we harm deliberately or when we do it but don't even realize we're doing harm? I tend to think the latter is more dangerous, as it's much more subtle.


By the way, I ask the question of myself and journal my personal "what the fuck" topics very often. (Read: I'm not saying I don't have my own shit that I ask wtf about!) I suggest you do the same, you'd be surprised what turns up.

No comments: